Hello, neighbors! I’m back in your inbox this summer morning with everything you need to know about what’s happening in town. Follow the latest news.
📣 Our readers love to celebrate good news! You can now shout your big announcement at the top of the Oceanside-Camp Pendleton Daily newsletter. Whether it’s a grand opening, new product for sale, birthday, anniversary, engagement, wedding, or new baby, let everyone celebrate at your side! Submit your ad here.
First, today’s weather forecast:
Fog in the sun. High: 78 Low: 65.
📢 Oceanside Harbor Days is coming September 17-18, 2022! Two event-filled days of sun, sand and surf to experience fun activities such as a costume party for the kids at Capt’n Junebug’s Kids Zone where they’ll meet local pirates and mermaids. Other activities include arts, crafts and food stalls, military, public safety exhibits, live music (The Spell Band), beer and wine garden and more! Harbor Days is free to the public. MORE INFORMATION
Want to see your business featured in this spot? Click here to start.
Here are the top five Oceanside-Camp Pendleton stories today:
- Oceanside Police are looking for the suspect in a stabbing attack that happened Friday morning near the 300 block of Via Del Norte in Oceanside. At 9:02 a.m., OPD responded to the assault report with a deadly weapon and located an adult male victim apparently suffering from stab wounds. The victim was taken to hospital. Police searched by land and air throughout the morning for a suspected armed suspect. The alleged attacker was described as a white or Hispanic adult male, 5ft 8in to 6ft tall, bald and covered in tattoos. He was last seen wearing a blue jacket, black shorts and black Puma shoes riding a skateboard. (Oceanside-Camp Pendleton Patch)
- San Diego County Crime Diary: A look at some of this week’s police, fire, and courtroom stories from across the region. Three current and former San Diego State University football players — including NFL punter Matt Araiza — have been charged in a rape trial. A wrapped body was found in unincorporated San Marcos, Sheriff Lt. Chris Steffen said. Two women were stabbed during a fight in San Diego. The suspect fled the scene. A lawman fatally shot a dog that charged officers at an East Village homeless encampment. (San Diego crest)
- Is it art or just horror? For residents who live along Via Malaguenain in Oceanside, a home has been an incredible eyesore. But according to the house’s tenant, Angelo Pamintuan, a self-proclaimed artist behind the creation, “I believe it’s art,” he said. “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder…I don’t think you can please everyone.” (CBS News 8)
- Local Oceanside chef and restaurant co-founder Davin Waite has been honored by the California Travel Association with its 2022 Sustainability Advocate Award. Waite is the co-founder of Wrench & Rodent Seabasstropub, Shootz Fish & Beer and The Plot, a plant-based zero-waste restaurant. The award recognizes Waite’s sustainable efforts to reduce waste, improve recycling and manage the travel impacts of its business. (The San Diego Union-Tribune)
- Patch has brought together fun, interesting, and entertaining events throughout Southern California – from the southern tip of San Diego, through Orange and Riverside Counties, to the beaches and valleys of Los Angeles. Some are free. Some have fees. Whether you opt for an activity near you, a mini day trip or a virtual event, find out what’s on this weekend from Saturday August 27th to Sunday August 28th, including San Marino Motor Classic at Lacy Park in San Marino, and Dana Point Classic Car Show on Del Prado Avenue in Dana Point. (Carlsbad Patch)
Today at Oceanside-Camp Pendleton:
- Bar Opens for BBQ – North County Veterans Association (9:00 a.m.)
- Marine Corps League BBQ Contest (9:00 a.m.)
- COASTAL 101 BIRDING (Oceanside) – Buena Vista Audubon Society (9:00 a.m.)
- Emily Afton performing at Vigilante Coffee (10:30 a.m.)
- Dr. Grammar Guy by Richard Lederer – Oceanside Theater Company(2:00 p.m.)
From my notebook:
- Oceanside Police Department: “The Oceanside Police Department has partnered with the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department, the San Diego County District Attorney’s Office and the City of Vista to get unwanted guns off our streets with an event Guns For Gift Cards the…” (Oceanside Police Department via Facebook)
- Oceanside City Public Library: “Cecilia is a multi-talented Oceansider who loves the beach, spending time with friends and family, and connecting to her church. In the fall of 2021, she decided to join Oceanside READS Learning Center because she wanted to improve reading it…” (Oceanside City Public Library via Facebook)
- City of Oceanside Parks and Recreation: “Full field races are held at the Junior Seau Beach Community Center and the Melba Bishop Recreation Center. $3 entry fee for ballers ages 18-65. Student ID required for ages 18 and up. less. Open gym schedules available at oceansiderec.com” (Oceanside City Parks and Recreation via Facebook)
- MCCS Camp Pendleton: “Lake O’Neill FREE Kids Fishing Derby will take place on Saturday, September 10 from 8 a.m. to noon. Enter your kids! Come support them all! Sign up at the link in our bio. 🐟” (MCCS Camp Pendleton via Instagram)
- City of Oceanside Parks and Recreation: “Learn to swim lessons for adults are now available! This course is designed to introduce and improve the basic skills needed to achieve an individual’s personal goals. Experienced water safety instructors teach lessons for beginners and advanced swimmers. …” (City of Oceanside Parks and Recreation via Facebook)
More from our sponsors – please support the local news!
- Oceanside Adventures – Daily Year-Round Whale and Dolphin Excursions — (Visit Website)
- Institute of Healthcare – Become an EMT in just 4-8 weeks — (Visit website)
Tyrion the Gardener Dog: Photo of the Day by the Ocean
Please follow and stay informed. See you tomorrow morning for another update!
— Lisa Frost
About me: I’m the community editor for the Oceanside-Camp Pendleton patch and love sharing all things Oceanside. It’s a privilege to help locals and those who visit our amazing and diverse city stay informed about the local news, people and stories that shape our community. Explore all that Patch has to offer Oceansider:
Questions? Concerns? Comments? You have my full attention at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Got a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Oceanside-Camp Pendleton Daily? Contact me at email@example.com